Monday, February 27, 2017

Sorrow & Hope

     Life has been busy and difficult lately. But it's also been incredible. On Super Bowl Sunday, my Daddy had a weird attack, which we believe was a gall bladder/liver problem. He was sore all week, but felt better by the next Sunday. Throughout the next couple of days, he kept saying that the attack he had had was one of the most painful experiences he'd ever had, but now that it was over, he felt amazing, and believed it was the best thing that could have happened to him. He began eating better, trying to heal his liver, and we continued with our everyday life.
     Then last week, on February 19th, I walked into the living room to find my Daddy dead in his chair.
     They believe it was a heart attack. It was unexpected because he had been saying for the past couple of days that he felt fantastic. And Daddy never lied about how he felt. But suddenly he was just gone, and it's still a little surreal. I can tell myself he's gone and not coming back, but I will sometimes think "I bet Daddy would like this," or, "I can't wait to tell Daddy about this!" and then I'll remember he's gone. But even as I type this, I'm not sad. I know he's so happy right now. On the night of the Super Bowl, when he felt better after his initial attack, he called us all into his room and said, "I know I talk a lot about how I can't wait to go to heaven, but as I was on the floor, in pain, I realized I wasn't ready to leave yet. You know how when people think they're about to die their past life 'flashes before their eyes'? Well, I didn't see my past, I saw what I would miss in the future if I left now....I wouldn't see the new grand-baby, I have the garden I want to grow, I don't want to leave y'all yet....spiritually, I'm ready to go, but mentally I'm not."
     We were all so grateful that he survived that night. We got another week with him, and then God took him home.  He won't get to see the newest grand-baby, but we all know he's so much more content right now. That was one of the main comforting thoughts during last week...he's in heaven praising God. No more pain, no more sorrow, no more stress....I almost envy him. :)
     Our church family, extended family and friends were incredibly supportive during this time. We lack nothing. And experiencing their love is one of the ways God has brought peace to my family during this time. Daddy will not be forgotten soon. God used him in so many wonderful ways, and I'm so grateful for the 21 years I got to spend with him.
   
     1 Thessalonians 4:13-18: But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as other who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.




No comments:

Post a Comment